Saint Barbara Parish

St. Barbara's Spiritual Journey

1891 First Mass celebrated in Black Diamond by Fr. Demanez

1894 Fr. John Sweeny becomes first regularly assigned priest to Black Diamond as a mission of St. Bernard in O'Brien (North Kent)

1898 First Mass in Black Diamond celebrated by a Jesuit Priest

1903 Our Lady of the Rosary built in Franklin, Father Fafara is assigned as pastor there and its mission parish, St. Barbara

1908 Father Aloysius Millnar is assigned priest for Black Diamond

1909 April 25, Aboccdo Ciavarro is the first Baptism recorded in Black Diamond

1910 October 23, Bishop O'Dea dedicates St. Barbara Church

1914 St. Aloysius, Ravensdale established but lasted only about 18 months due as a tragic mining disaster resulted in the town's decline

1914 Holy Cross in Taylor, WA dedicated (Stations now displayed at St. Barbara)

1915 St. Barbara Church mortgage retired

1916 The Benedictines of St. Martins in Lacy supply priest for St Barbara

1935 Owner embezzles Bank of Black Diamond funds including all St. Barbara deposits - approximately $500

1938 Benedictine Sisters from St. Placid in Lacy start organized religious education at St. Barbara until 1944

1942 War shortages and fewer priests cause Benedictines to return parish to archdiocesan priest staffing

1946 The Dominican Sisters take over religious education until 1959

1952 Fr. John McLoughlin a Maryknoll priest returns from China to become pastor

1957 Fr. Horan purchases land that the new (1998) church was built

1966 June 18, Parish Hall dedicated by Archbishop Connolly

1973 The parish and Fr. Dick Mitchell undertake structural upgrades to aging parish facilities

1975 September 24, Archbishop Hunthausen's first priest assignment stations Fr. Charles Palluck at St. Barbara

2009 Fr. David Young succeeds Fr. Chuck - now a senior priest of the Diocese

2013 Current pastor Fr. Dave Rogerson is assigned